Monday, January 31, 2011

Catchy Florida Gator Sayings

How deceiving his guilt (or, to be truly effective)


Last Friday, La Presse published a dossier on procrastination. I took the opportunity Saturday to read in full before (instead) to complete a paper for my students (yes, students: only girls in my group!). I recognized, even if it does not absolutely helped me find stuff. Fortunately, in recent years, I developed by myself.

As a student in writing of memory, occasional self-employed, college teacher and part time writer on Sunday, I spend a lot (lots and lots) of time at home with work to do and deadlines more or less fuzzy. To survive, he had I find solutions. I offer you, even if they are not always effective, and I'm yours ...

# 1: Selfcontrol
My latest find, the most effective of all: the application Selfcontrol, which creates a black list of websites to block or, better, a whitelist of sites release during a specified period. And attention, once the meter is gone, no way to change their minds, even restarting the computer: it was not until that time has elapsed. For the desperate, and for Mac only.

# 2: work elsewhere
Personally, I have a soft spot for the third floor of the BAnQ. Even if the Internet connection is always available, no other distractions (phone, coffee machine, dirty dishes) and the climate of calm and absolute concentration are quite effective. Unfortunately, for some time, it gets a bit complicated because my daughter loves all his likely build (lean) weight on my bladder, which increases my return trips to the bathroom ...

# 3: procrastination productive
It is a form of procrastination, because even if is more productive than reading manga on the internet, it does not help the memory to be written faster. It is to replace the unproductive procrastination by the household (the dishes, laundry), kitchen (Spagh sauce, soup, banana bread), exercise (c'mon, just a few squats before I put the work!) or all sorts of little things absolutely necessary but not urgent (writing a text for the wedding of a friend, be a hook, take steps to subscribe to Communauto). It has the advantage of avoiding the guilt that comes with procrastination, and it's even better if you use a professional task easy but necessary (edit a document on the agreement of past participle) to repel a difficult task (writing a chapter from memory).

# 4: Get off my desk in the basement
Well, this is not given to everyone living on two floors, but the mere fact of having to cross the sub- ground and climb the stairs to the kitchen (my favorite place of procrastination) is enough to dissuade me. I keep the same provisions permanently in my office (well hidden in my Tardis Cookie Jar ) to avoid interrupting me to get a snack.

# 5: getting pregnant
side procrastination, it has its good and less good, admittedly. The disadvantage is that it gives me a whole series of books and websites to read (I can not count the time spent on Babble) and things to think about (choose the colors of the room, a shopping strollers online ), but the advantage is that this is probably due to the more compelling in my life. So I started counting backwards to motivate me to be more effective, even if it's still rough. I still have 18 weeks to complete a version satisfactory from my memory and my novel.

# 6: View a timeline on the wall
For distant or vague deadlines, it brings some reality to the whole affair ...

You have others, the worst or best? I want to read.

0 comments:

Post a Comment